1.31.2011

Lub dub

Lub-dub. Lub-dub. S1/S2. Systole-diastole. Blood to the body, blood to the ventricles. Lub-dub. Keep it beating. That’s our job. That’s my job. This mechanical organ, this pump made of flesh, keep it going.

Spindle shaped extravasated red blood cells is pathognomonic of Karposi’s Sarcoma.  Will that factoid help me treat patients any better? I can recognize KS without knowing that. Sure, it’s interesting. But how will it benefit my patient? I need to know how to treat my patient in body and mind.  Focus on the drugs. What do they do? What are their side effects? What will be the barriers to having patients take them? What is the best one to give? Tell me that. Test me on that. Tables, tables, more tables. A picture of one person’s dead heart. How will this help me? Tables help me memorize important information. CHF, HTN, AE, d/o, LVH, LBBB, AMI, I’m learning the language. That doesn’t help me help patients. Not yet. It’s like being able to read Hebrew and follow along in the prayer books, but not knowing what I’m reading save for a few words. 

What kind of doctor will I be? Is it at all reflected in the test scores I achieve my first 2 years? I have to learn something. I have to learn a lot. Does doing average on these exams mean I won’t know enough? Does above average mean being a better doctor? What about below average? What if I fail one? Or two? Will I put patients in danger? Or will I, in reality, have a chance to learn it better, in clinic, in a setting where I can see the people I’m helping? I know I will be a good doctor in terms of talking to people, caring about them, and that matters a lot… like alotalot. I just hope I can get enough knowledge into my head so I don’t kill anyone. 

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this post. It might make you feel better to read about the Dunning-Kruger effect (if you haven't before). Basically it sums up to the theory that a person's perception of their own intelligence is inversely related to their actual intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll have to check out that book (you know, in my copious spare time ;)

    ReplyDelete